Saturday, November 6, 2021

[Book Review] Survival by Rowen Black

 
                                            Survival
Each year, the Knightwood Academy chooses the best of the best to join them.


Males from different factions are sent there to train.

This year, it’s my brother's turn to take part, but sickness eats at his body every day, making it impossible for him to take part in the training.

I have no choice but to take his place, not only to save him from dying during training but also because I need the money for his medicine. It’s my job as his sister to do this for him.

I’m not worried. I know I can do this. I’m as fast and deadly as any man. My father made sure both my brother and I are very capable with a sword.

At the Academy, I have to share a room with the four men who will now be my unit. We have been ordered to grow close by sharing every moment of every day with each other.

My new unit mates don't believe I will be able to keep them alive in the coming trials, because of my size, but I would prove them wrong no matter what it takes.

If they find out who I really am, I’ll be sentenced to death, and if no one can pay for my brother's medicine, he’ll share in my fate.

Will I be able to keep my identity a secret to save my brother’s life?

I’m not sure, but I have to try.

It’s my only option.

I devoured this book within a few hours. Once I started, I was hooked! I loved the idea of an academy of knights, and it was even more exciting when there was a magic faction included. I honestly just love when magic is included in books, so this was a pleasant surprise. 

I really enjoyed the main character Raven. I felt that she was strong and  courageous with a dash of sassy. I loved all the guys in Unit one, and I was honestly a little skeptical of Vash. I liked him, but I was afraid he was going to betray Raven. I guess I've read too many novels where this does happen, so I couldn't trust myself. I suppose I have trust issues for the guys that are a little bit too nice. I was honestly super happy when Vash ended up being a genuinely nice guy. I didn't trust that until his POV chapter though; my bad! I loved that all the guys had their own personality and contributed well to the group. It was a bit weird with the two new guys towards the end of the book though. They don't mesh with the group yet, so I'm hoping that's something explored in the next book. Also, I am almost positive that I know who is in the cliffhanger. Good thing he's genuine.

Overall, I really enjoyed the world development and the characters. I felt like I was right there with them in the academy, which is how you know it was a good book! Sometimes I felt like the sentence structure didn't flow as well as I would like and this snagged the story pace some, which is the only reason it is getting four stars instead of five. I would definitely recommend this to any fan of reverse harems! It has spice, great characters, and an amazing plotline. You won't be disappointed. 


 Rowen Black is an author of dystopian RH with some PNR mixed in. She has a fur baby that is a giant Mainecoon. Rowen has a large family who she loves to spend time with and she also loves to bake when she's not on her laptop. 

Rowen grew up raised on a farm, and loves to be around animals and loves hard work. 
The one place Rowen wants to visit before she dies is Germany and Italy. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

[Book Blast] Greystone [GIVEAWAY]

  This post is part of a virtual book tour organized by Goddess Fish Promotions . B L Ryan will be awarding a $10 Amazon/BN gift card to a...