Monday, August 30, 2021

[Book Review] Makeshift

 


Bereft of her family, carrying her attacker's child, and no stranger to the grey clouds of desolation, Ana meets five men whose secrets are the harbingers of the biggest challenge of her life. Struggling to navigate the relationships she cannot help but find herself in, Ana realizes just how far she will go for the family who found her.

The five wolves who run Makeshift Mile, a rescue farm-cum-juvenile shifter rehabilitation center in the middle of the woods, must reconcile the existence of their very human mate with the regulations that have kept supernatural society safe from meddlesome humans. When Ana arrives, awkward and pregnant, it's more than just her humanity that disturbs the peace that has been maintained by the supernatural clans.

Then a secret is revealed, forcing the wolves and their woman to decide how best to navigate the sacrifices required to keep their new family safe--rules be damned.

I originally learned about this book on TikTok, and I have to say that I really enjoyed this shifter romance. The story starts out from the viewpoint of the villain, which was an interesting concept. I don't think I have read any POVs from the bad guy in any recent books, or possibly any at all. So, it was kind of refreshing to have a new perspective on the story. 

The main female character is abducted and impregnated within the first few chapters. So, please, check your triggers! She ends up running into a guy, faints, and then goes to his farm to thank him. On this farm, there are four other very handsome guys (plus a wolf), and they all turn out to be her mates. The rest of the book goes on into the storyline of who impregnated her and why. 

These five shifters are total cinnamon rolls, and I loved them! they all have their own unique personality and have all been touched with a compelling backstory. I enjoyed having some of the story in their points of views. I'm not sure who my favorite is, but the best thing about a reverse harem? You don't have to choose!

Overall, I would give this four iced coffees. I am excited to see the growth in the plot and characters. I am also excited to see what happens after that cliffhanger! I guess we shall see. This is a light, fun read, with some dark themes throughout. I know, it sounds like an oxymoron, but just give it a try!





KH Helens writes paranormal and reverse harem romance. Her debut novel, Makeshift, released in March.





No comments:

Post a Comment

[Book Blast] Greystone [GIVEAWAY]

  This post is part of a virtual book tour organized by Goddess Fish Promotions . B L Ryan will be awarding a $10 Amazon/BN gift card to a...